When we are having a BBQ, most of the time I make this very easy side dish. It’s very easy to make and it takes just a couple of minutes of preparation, but in return you get some delicious smokey soft roasted tomatoes.
If you want to add some extra smokiness to this delish side dish you can add a couple of small chunks of oak or hickory wood to the coals of the BBQ, this will really lift the flavour of the roasted tomatoes.
Roasted Smoky Tomatoes From The BBQ
- 1 Chunk Of Smoking Wood optional, oak or hickory
- Preheat your bbq smoker to about 200 Celcius
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with the extra virgin olive oil and toss them around in the bowl until the tomatoes are covered with the olive oil.
- Add the sea salt, pepper and oregano to the bowl and toss the tomatoes until they are completely covered with the salt, pepper and oregano
- Place the tomatoes in a cast iron skillet and place them on the BBQ and close the lid of the BBQ
- Roast the tomatoes for about 20 to 30 minutes until they are soft and a bit blistered. Be careful with taking out the cast iron skillet from the BBQ, it will be very hot and will retain a lot of heat for a while.