Quick & healthy lunch.
If you are looking for a healthy lunch recipe to put on some delicious sourdough bread and you like the taste of mackerel and lemon, this mackerel pate is the lunch recipe for you. I often go for this bread topper because I always liked the taste and oiliness of mackerel. I used to make this recipe with just the fish, mayonnaise and some pepper and salt, but after discovering the combination with cream cheese and preserved lemon, I never really looked back.
Why is mackerel good for you.
Mackerel is considered some of the most healthy and nutritious fish to eat. They are an excellent source of protein, vitamins B2, B3, B6, and B12, and vitamin D. Their flesh is also full of minerals like copper, selenium, and iodine. Some of these fishes also contain good amounts of iron and vitamin B1.
Fresh or canned.
Whether you have it fresh or canned, mackerel has several health benefits to offer and is doesn’t really matter which you choose. Eating mackerel may improve heart health and may Reduce Risk for Type 2 Diabetes.
Mackerel pate with preserved lemon and capers
- Drain the tin of mackerel and discard the olive oil.
- Cut the preserved lemon very fine. Slice the spring onions in little rings. Chop the parsley.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and smash everything together until you've got a nice consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on some rye crackers or some (toasted) sourdough bread slices.