You can make these with freshly shredded cabbage and spring onion. I had a lot of crunchy stir-fried cabbage with carrots, onions and peppers leftover so I used these instead. Still delicious.
Okonomiyaki – Japanese Cabbage Pancakes
Japanese style pancakes
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Buckwheat Flour
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Spring Onion
- 200 g White Cabbage Finely Shredded
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Runny Honey
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp Chilli Paste Optional
Bake The Pancakes
- Make a batter with the eggs and the flour, whisking away any lumps. Season with the salt (and pepper if you wish), and the sesame oil and 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce.
- Mix in the vegetables, coating thoroughly with the batter.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large frying pan and coat the base of the pan. Add the batter in 4 small pancakes (more like rostis). Allow to cook through for about 3-4 minutes before flipping.
Make The Sauce
- While the pancakes are baking, mix the sauce in a small dish with the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, honey and 1 tsp of dark soy sauce.
- Once the pancakes are cooked through and golden, serve on a plate and drizzle over the sauce.
Calories: 373kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 19gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 327mgSodium: 2081mgPotassium: 842mgFiber: 9gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 997IUCalcium: 174mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!