Prepare time: 2 hours
Pair this delicious soup with a crusty baguette. This delicious French soup is easy to make and sure to impress your guests.
- 9 Large yellow onions
- 1 tbs butter
- 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 bottle of white wine
- Generous splash of French Brandy
- 1 tbs thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Generous grind of pepper
- 2 beef stock cubes or melts
- 750 ML water
- 1 crusty baguette
- 200 grams of grated Gruyère cheese
- Cut up the onions in rings, caramelise the onions till they are brown and really soft in a large cast iron pan.
- Add the white wine, brandy, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Leave to simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add the stock cubes and the water and leave to simmer for about an hour.
- Serve up in bowls, top the soup with the slices of baguette and gruyère cheese and put the bowls under a grill until the cheese is completely melted.