A few weeks back we finally made it to a restaurant we’d been meaning to try for a while, Oklava. Turkish flavours and mostly cooking over a charcoal grill. We tasted some delicious food, one of which was bhaharat spiced bread with a whipped date butter and presumably is what gets served up in heaven. We bought their recipe book! With a limited range of ingredients in the fridge, I came up with this bhaharat spiced flatbread and lemon chicken kebabs, inspired by the Oklava recipes. If you don’t like watching two things on the hob at once, you can finish the flatbreads before you start grilling off the kebabs.
- 2 chicken breasts, in 2cm cubes
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano/1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Courgette, sliced 0.5cm thick on the diagonal, seasoned with salt & pepper
- Salad leaves (we like rocket, spinach and watercress)
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 80g self raising flour
- 1.5 tsp bhaharat spice
- Salt & pepper
- 80g yoghurt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- First marinade the chicken cubes for 15 mins or up to an hour in the lemon juice, oregano, olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Next make the flatbread dough. In a mixing bowl, weigh the flour and add the spice and salt and pepper and mix well. Add the yoghurt and oil mix with the spoon to bring it all together so it comes to a ball. Leave to rest, while you griddle the courgette slices.
- To griddle the courgettes, heat a griddle and brush with oil. Season the courgette slices and cook over the griddle, turning from time to time until they are softened and have nice brown griddle marks. Set aside on a plate.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto skewers and place on the still hot griddle, over a low heat. These will need about 2 mins per side to cook through each of the four sides.
- Place a frying pan on the stove on a high heat. No need for oil. While the chicken kebabs are between turns, divide the flatbread dough into two balls and on a flour-dusted surface with a flour-dusted rolling pin roll it out (or flatten with your hands) to a side-plate sized disk about 0.5 cm thick.
- Pop the first flatbread into the hot frying pan to bake the first side for about one minute, then flip it over and cook the other side for a minute. You want a nice golden or dark toasted colour. (Turn your chicken kebabs again). Flip over the flatbread again until it looks done and cooked through then remove to a wire rack while you cook the next. (Turn your chicken kebabs again).
- Once the second flatbread is cooked, set the flatbreads on to two plates and start to assemble your kebabs. Add the salad leaves, spring onion and the grilled courgettes. Once the kebabs are cooked through, place on top. Drizzle with extra yoghurt ( you can swirl through some chopped mint or lemon zest if you fancy). And it’s ready to go!