Of course you can have a BBQ with shop bought sauces and side dishes, but it is so much nicer to make your own sauces and sides. This smoked tomato ketchup is a delicious topping on flame grilled burgers or any other food you prepare on your BBQ. We always go large on ketchup on our fries and meat, and the smokiness of this ketchup ads a total new dimension to them.
Smoked Tomato BBQ Ketchup
A very tasty smoky classic, this ketchup will add a touch of unexpected spice to a burger or other delicious summer food from the BBQ.
- Baking Tray Small
- 2 kg Tomatoes ripe, peeled & seeded
- 3 Shallots chopped finely
- 4 tbsp Brown Sugar dark
- 6 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Celery Seeds
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon ground
- ½ tsp Allspice ground
- Fire up the BBQ smoker and preheat it to 225°F / 110°C. Add wood chips, chunks to smoker and let everything become nice and smokey.
- Place tomatoes in single layer on a baking tray. Smoke the tomatoes for about 20 to 30 minutes. At end of smoking time, carefully remove tomatoes from smoker.
- Add smoked tomatoes and pan juices to large saucepan; heat on medium-low heat. Add shallots, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, vinegar and celery seeds; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until reduced to 4 cups, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with a potato masher. Remove from heat; cool.
- Add tomato mixture to blender container. Cover; pulse on and off for 1 minute or until smooth. Return to same saucepan. Add remaining brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Simmer over medium heat; reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour until reduced to 2 cups or desired thickness. Remove from heat; cool. Pour into sealable glass container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Calories: 39kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 81mgPotassium: 323mgFiber: 2gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 1042IUCalcium: 20mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Made it with my bbq smoker, this recipe is very good, delish home-made bbq tomato ketchup.
This is a very good way to make a delicious smokey ketchup!